I'm sharing a little video with you today that is just 5 mins long.
As I've been busy adding content to my upcoming ecourse Portraits In Time, I took some time out to play and explore and the video below is the end result. It took about 20 minutes to complete but I've speeded the whole thing up to just 5 mins. At the end of the video, I've also shared a complete supplies list should you be interested.
I often get asked 'How do you let your art, your 'unique you' come through to the canvas/paper?'
So five thoughts on this:
- The boring bit is just to practice, play and be brave. It's about putting in the time and commitment to learning how to draw/paint and with time, your 'unique' vision will come through. I always remember learning to drive and realising that we all have our own little ways of driving but overall, the core skill is the same.
- Know that there will be 'off' days and 'off' pieces of art that frankly just need to be binned or painted over. That's okay and totally normal. Give yourself permission to make mistakes and try again (and again).
- Listen to your inner voice and add a splash of bright pink there, a scribble over here and a bit of collage there. Yes, the process involves risk but this is where the magic happens.
- Know that you're always evolving and so is your art and that's normal, so pay attention to what is real for you in this time and space.
- Let go of perfection and say 'hello' to play and truth in the process.
I do hope you enjoy this video and that you'll be inspired to have a go yourself. If you'd like to create some art with me, please purchase my upcoming portrait class - the classroom opens on 11th September.